It’s 14th August, Pakistan’s Independence Day…
What is usually a joyous day, however, has come at a time of great calamity this year :(. The Pakistan floods are worse than the Tsunami of 2004, according to the UN. (See also this update from the UN Dispatch http://www.undispatch.com/node/10128 ).
My father’s friend recently sent me these pictures taken by an eye-witness volunteer in Swat:
Here’s how to help from Mosharraf Zaidi‘s blog, a respected journalist who has compiled a list of trusted sources:
Please help in any way you can! Even your smallest action can bring relief to the flood affected.
- All Things Pakistan’s list: http://pakistaniat.com/2010/08/05/best-ways-to-help-flood-victims-in-pakistan/778.htm
- Faisal Kapadia’s page: http://deadpanthoughts.com/2010/08/pkfloods10-flood-relief-campaign-for-southern-pakistan/
- US State Dept. Text SWAT to 50555: http://www.state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2010/08/145
- UK’s Disasters Emergency Committee: http://www.dec.org.uk/item/200
- Beena Sarwar’s blog: http://beenasarwar.wordpress.com/2010/08/02/2234/
- Sam Mirza’s FB page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/note.php?note_id=451097122802&id=519796991&ref=mf
- Pakistan Crisis Wiki: http://pakistan.wikia.com/wiki/Floods_2010
- Changing Up Pakistan: http://changinguppakistan.wordpress.com/2010/08/04/turning-grief-into-action/
- Karachi Relief Trust: http://www.karachirelief.org/index.htm